• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Jerusha

October 20, 2024, 03:22:24 PM
Due to a previous commitment, I might not make it to chat tonight.  Give my best to KK, though.
Members
  • Total Members: 171
  • Latest: Geo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 29,383
  • Total Topics: 2,812
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 36
Total: 36
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

October 25, 2024, 02:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chemical properties of merasha

Started by Marc_du_Temple, October 11, 2024, 12:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc_du_Temple

For a start, I was wondering if merasha would be considered a base or an acid. Someone pointed out that it plays well with alcohol, so it is likely to be somewhat acidic, but is there anything more to add to this? Has it done anything noteworthy under certain conditions?
"We're the masters of chant.
We are brothers in arms.
For we don't give up,
Till 'time has come.
Will you guide us God?
We are singing as one.
We are masters of chant." -Gregorian

DoctorM

Merasha really intrigues me. Blocking Deryni abilities, sure. But else can it do? Can it be used in small amounts to induce...MDMA-like sensations? Are there variant potions that can have mind-altering effects? What levels of the drug are needed for any effects? How long do its effects linger? What does it do when combined with other drugs? There are some Timothy Leary-like or Wm. S. Burroughs-like questions here!

Evie

KK mentions other substances in passing that are similar to merasha but less potent, but I can't recall if she states how they differ. I didn't recall those other substances being named either. (So probably none of this is very helpful. LOL!)

We normally see merasha administered in wine specifically, which is definitely on the acidic side (not sure if all alcohol is), and even more so if it is starting to turn to vinegar. It could likely be administered in water, but my guess is that wine helps to camouflage the taste of the merasha, at least for the first sip or two, which water wouldn't do.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

tmcd

For "variant potions": there's High Deryni, in which ... well, I've spoiled things before, so maybe I shouldn't go into details here, but it was very prominent.

DoctorM

Quote from: tmcd on October 11, 2024, 08:36:25 PMFor "variant potions": there's High Deryni, in which ... well, I've spoiled things before, so maybe I shouldn't go into details here, but it was very prominent.

What I'm hearing in my head right now is the sound of two people arguing about variant forms of merasha the same way people argue over gin vs. vodka martinis.

Somewhere in a story I must introduce some different forms of merasha...and different uses, including (just maybe) something like recreational uses.

Nezz

Quote from: DoctorM on October 11, 2024, 09:23:58 PM
Quote from: tmcd on October 11, 2024, 08:36:25 PMFor "variant potions": there's High Deryni, in which ... well, I've spoiled things before, so maybe I shouldn't go into details here, but it was very prominent.

What I'm hearing in my head right now is the sound of two people arguing about variant forms of merasha the same way people argue over gin vs. vodka martinis.

Somewhere in a story I must introduce some different forms of merasha...and different uses, including (just maybe) something like recreational uses.
"I personally enjoy the heady bouquet of a Merasha '55 from the Beldour labs. It provides excellent nose."
Now is life, and life is always better.
-Wolfself

Evie

Quote from: DoctorM on October 11, 2024, 09:23:58 PM

Yeah, that would definitely need to be a variant! I can't imagine a severe migraine, nausea, and disorientation inducing substance being very recreational, unless one has a very different idea of what recreational means than I do! 😅 Though since humans mostly just get sleepy from it, I guess I could see it used as a form of escapism, though if an unsuspecting person tried it for the first time not realizing he was Deryni, that would truly suck. "Hey, you should try this stuff! It will make you forget all your problems." Tries stuff, decides Vezairi port gives less of a hangover.... 🤯
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bynw

Back to the acidity of merasha. If memory serves me correctly. I believe that when Kelson experienced merasha it was from the same wine skin that his father had used. And I think the wine in that was becoming more like vinegar and the merasha was still potent enough to take him for a loop.
President/Founder of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com